Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Tutorial How to make a felted flower brooch

Galafilc creates amazing and unique hand felted items. Today she will share her know-how on how to create a felted flower brooch.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/galafilc
To create a flower we will need about 20 gr. of white felting wool, plastic bubble wrap, soap, water, dye for coloring and a wooden roller.

The first step is to lay out pieces of wool on a bubble wrap. We will make six circles slightly different in size.

The second step is to wet our wool with soapy water. We spray the water evenly all over the wool and cover it with another piece of bubble wrap. Our wool is now ready for felting. At the very beginning we roll our wooden stick over the wrap once to squeeze extra water out of our wet wool. After that we roll our wrap around the wooden stick and start actually rolling it on a flat surface. I usually roll it about 100 times in one direction and 100 times in another direction.


Our wool is semi-felted now. We take it out of the wrap and gently squeeze and rub it in our hands until it is ready. Our pieces of wool should be pretty homogeneous with fiber intact and not separating. If the wool has felted well the original size of the piece changes. Our wool circles should be much smaller in size than the original ones.

Now we are ready to start creating an actual flower. We cut out a flower from each of the circles and felt the flowers a little bit for the edges to felt and become even. We rinse our flowers well and flatten them. It's time to form a flower now. We put the biggest flower at the bottom and the rest five flowers on top of it.

To dye our flower we will need to soak it in a vinegar first. For the final color not to be super bright I usually add a few drops of black dye to my dye mix. To prepare my dye mix I just mix dye with water. I soak my felted pieces into the dye mix and warm in up either in a micorwave or on a stove. I usually let my felt stay in the dye mix for about an hour. Finally I put my felted pieces into a vinegar once more to fix the color and let them dry afterward.

My brooch flower is almost ready. I assemble all the pieces into a flower brooch and attach a pin at its back. Our beautiful and unique hand felted flower brooch is ready!


translated by TonyaUtkina

9 comments:

Tom Bjorn Designs said...

lovely tutorial!

SocksAndMittens said...

Great tutorial, I am so anxious to try to make this flower brooch!

Yana said...

I love Galafilc's works and it's fascinating to see how it's done! Thank you for this great tutorial!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial!!

Natalka Pavlysh said...

great tutorial!
Thank you for sharing!

FeltByRae said...

I make felted flowers too, but mainly using needle felting - I love this and am going to give it a go, it's really pretty

Ink Five said...

Thank you! It's really interesting, and very well explained.

Unknown said...

You make it look so easy! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am going to try one in the morning!

Марина said...

Great tutorial!! Thank you so much !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...